Lavatory IronyI thought to myself:
"It's nice to have a
paper towel dispenser in the bathroom."
Then I push the handle
and realize that it is empty.
A Stone Helped Me Write This.."A Stone Helped Me Write This Poem"
I may not have ridden
On the Polar Express
As the children did in the story,
But I have a ticket with
The word "Create" punched into it.
It's a ticket made of stone
That I can place in my pocket.
But I leave mine upon my desk
As a reminder of the talent
God has blessed me with -
An ability He Himself possesses as well.
The single word on the stone
Encourages me to do what I enjoy:
To create art, to use color, lines, words,
And the proper instruments required
To bring my ideas, my observations, to life.
Super Bowl Prediction*this poem was written in January of 2010, in relation to the weather and the status of my favorite NFL team at that time*
I can feel it -
The chill in the Arctic air
Blowing down from Minnesota to Miami.
This cold wave across the nation, I tell you,
Is a sign,
A sign that Ole and Sven will dance in Hell,
That purple and gold will be reflected
On the silver walls of that glorious tower
(From one old Packer to another).
I Am the KoopaIf I were to compare myself
With a character from the Mushroom Kingdom,
I would relate myself to a Koopa Troopa:
I'm fine when I'm trotting around
Until Mario comes along;
One look, and a pounding force,
And I'm hiding in my shell -
Kicked around at will -
While I struggle to come out again.
Mountain of LifeHike.
I'm so exhausted.
How much farther now?
I know it's no walk in the park,
But beauty and joy await those who can reach the top.
Depression and AnxietyMy feet long to swiftly walk
as before, to jump and skip,
but they can only trudge
along, slow as a tortoise.
My eyes long to look
at the eyes of those
who care about me,
but they can only see
the ground and brick walls.
My lips long to smile,
to show warmth, kindness,
happiness, a welcome to others,
but they can only shape
a frown, a symbol of sadness.
My voice - O, how my voice
longs to speak! to express
in words the things I think and feel!
but, alas, it can only remain
imprisoned within my throat.
Normally, I am a pond with
waters still, calm, and reflecting
sunshine. But lately clouds
hide the sun, bringing those
dark and strong winds that
disrupt my surface, filling
my mind with ripples and waves.
The winds ravage my body,
blowing away my strength, my focus,
my voice, and I am unable to talk.
The waters well up in my eyes
and I have to look away,
to turn away from the comfort of others.
I don't know why -it's so strange
how when I know I need help,
I run away as if it threatened
Little Angel(In memory of Jayden Heisler, my cousin's son, who was born 4-5 months premature)
sent from above
with God's love.
you were here,
then came our tears.
to heaven from grave,
a precious little babe.
you're safe and sound
above the clouds.
we are not apart,
for you are in our hearts.
An Ode to IowaBlack,
Two rivers surround
The land, covered by seas of green
Swaying in the wind, growing life and sustaining it.
The Ten Commandments...1. Like's there's only one Shigeru Miyamoto, there's only one God.
2. Don't worship your favorite game system or make your favorite game character an idol.
3. Don't take the Lord's name in vain, no matter how many game overs you get on Kid Icarus.
4. Observe the Sabbath and keep it holy. You can play video games the other six days of the week.
5. Respect and honor your parents - especially if they supply you games or money for games.
6. Unless you're playing Assassin's Creed, don't commit murder.
7. Mario saves Peach, Link saves Zelda, so save your own princess and no one else's.
8. The only time when it's good to steal is when you're playing Grand Theft Auto.
9. Don't throw your controller at the wall! If you make a mistake in a game, it's your fault, not the controller's.
10. Don't desire your friend's games, systems, and accessories. If you've got money, go out and buy them yourself.